Thursday, November 12, 2009

Try Outs...

I recently added Mennonite Girls Can Cook to my blog list. Since then I've had people ask me if I had tried any of the recipes.
The perfect opportunity arose when I had pork chops to use. I tried the recipe for Pork in Sour Cream Sauce. I also made Oven Mushroom Rice They were both very good! Because the pork chops were cooked in a skillet on the stove top, I used the stove top version of the Mushroom Rice. I cooked the rice even longer than the recipe stated but it wasn't tender. I believe the problem is in the type of rice I used. (This happened previously with another recipe.) The flavor was really good.
I really like it when we can produce our own food. It's nice to know the origins of what we eat. The pork was raised this summer by my seven year old. (Which is why he wouldn't eat any.) The green beans were grown in our garden and home canned. The dinner roll was a left-over made by Sarah. We also tried Strawberry Delight This recipe used strawberries that were picked and frozen this past June.
I would highly recommend Mennonite Girls Can Cook I thought it would be a winner since most of my favorite cookbooks are Amish or Mennonite in origin. They tend to use common ingredients and the results are very family friendly. I can't wait to try out some more of their recipes. There are a lot to choose from and they keep adding more :) Let me know if you try some too.

2 comments:

charlotte mgcc said...

I am so glad that you enjoyed the recipes and gave our blog such a wonderful review.
Yes we are regular women who love everyday ingredients to make something special around to share around the table.
Sorry to hear that the rice wasn't tender, sometimes brown rice tends to do that, and I have often wondered if I should use more liquid.
When I made the recipe I posted it was very tender......so let us blame the rice, and not the cook! smile.
Today I am going to be making ALL the cream pies featured in our blog for our sons B-day so I better get off the computer and get cracking.

Deanna said...

Ah, Laurie, Strawberry Delight just triggered memories of my Grandma B!!! She use to make that ALL the time...loved it! I forgot about that recipe!

Brown rice does take longer to cook AND more water. I believe it is a 3 to 1 ratio (water to rice) and about 35-45 min depending on the heat.

I fwd the Mennonite recipe blog to my girls and nieces (we are all Mennonite but some of the most recent cookbooks have lost that Mennonite traditional recipes).

Off to make my Grandma B's PB Pie...it is yummy!!! :)